Dehler owners
Shop || Forum || Dehler Yacht Sales || Links || Site Map || Contact
About us
Chandlery and electronic equipment
Cruising notes
Cruising software
Dehler charter and training
Dehler links
Dehler manuals and information
Dehler Parts for Sale
Dehler projects
Dehler Regatta
Dehler Videos
Dehler yachts - sale and wanted
Items for sale or wanted
Marinas and moorings
Odds and ends
Owners comments and recommendations
Rig Tuning
The Dehler Yacht Company
Weather information
Yacht Repairs, Sails and Equipment

Dehler Regatta

With over 30 boats this year the regatta was a great occasion despite the first day's racing being cancelled due to high winds.  We had entered our Dehler 37 in the Regatta for the first time this year and were slightly apprehensive as we had not raced before.  We had no need to worry however and had a great time although racing on the first day was cancelled and we had to withdraw at the start of the second day due to (newly installed)instrument failure.  Saturday was a great day however - we found the start line with no problems and completed the course and also completed the second race.  The Royal Southern Sailing Club managed the racing very effectively and the bar provided a very convivial environment for socializing in the evenings.

I recommend that you all make a note of this event for your diaries in 2008. 

To get a taster of the 2006 years event please read the attached owner’s viewpoint of the regatta (‘2006 Dehler UK Regatta – Beowulf.mht’)

Please RSVP by email:, via our website: or by phone: 02380 456100


The Dehler UK Team

Dehler Yacht Regatta – July 26 – 27 2006
An owner's account: Paul and Helen Field - Dehler 36SQ "Beowulf"
Written by Helen Field

This was to be the first UK Dehler owner's regatta, and the first time that we were to race our relatively new Dehler 36SQ "Beowulf". My husband Paul drove down to the Hamble from our home on the East Coast during the morning on the day beforehand with our crew Rob and Alison, in order to get the boat "race prepared". Unfortunately, I had to work and intended to meet everyone at the Royal Southern Yacht Club later in the day.

After a terrible train journey from Essex, I finally arrived at Eastleigh rail station only to find that the skipper was waiting for me at 'Parkway' station, the next stop down the line: of course it was not the skippers fault. We arrived at the Royal Southern Yacht Club to find that the briefing had already taken place. Luckily, our crew had listened-in on our behalf and were found enjoying the surroundings of the RSYC and 'the drinks reception', happily chatting to Tom and Mary, owners of the Dehler 29 "Meebyan".

After collecting all the lovely free goodies supplied by Dehler, plus a few more drinks, it was decided to eat at the local Italian restaurant with Tom and Mary. Thankfully, the restaurant staff did not remember Paul and me from a few weeks beforehand, after our rather raucous après Round-the-Island Race celebrations with the skipper and crew of the Dehler 47 "Davanti"! After a superb meal we all retired back to Beowulf to get some rest, in order to be that one step ahead of the competition over the next two days.

The first day of the racing dawned with a promise of extremely hot weather, but NO WIND. We motored out to the starting area, where it was a wonderful sight to see so many different types of Dehler yachts milling around waiting for a breeze. After spending nearly 2 hours waiting, a tiny zephyr of a breeze picked up and the Race Officer set the race start procedure in motion: along with our rising heart rates and the skipper and tactician growing their devil horns and pitchforks!

After waiting for the 'big boys' in the IRC class to start, the Cruiser class followed some minutes later. We achieved a good position on the start line headed up the first beat looking for the first mark as there was no one to follow. Sailing in the light breeze was testing, tactical and sometimes tricky. We found it very hard to catch fellow Dehler 36sq “Intuition” who managed to pull away from us on the downwind legs. This was the first time that we used the asymmetric spinnaker in earnest and after a few “teething problems” we managed to hoist it without too much of a problem. Gybing and lowering this sail was a different story! As soon as the sail was dropped into the cabin, it was over to the”girlies” to re-pack it ready for the next hoist: and woe be-tied us if we were to get it wrong or take too long. Armed with a bottomless bucket, a copious amount of rubber bands and a somewhat dodgy rendition of Rod Stewart's song “Sailing”, we managed to get the sail packed back into its bag whilst enduring temperatures of over 40 degrees C.  The Skipper would not allow the hatches to be opened as it would spoil the air-flow over the deck. On a couple of occasions, a mutiny was nearly started after we were told from ‘above’ that we were too slow and that the sail was needed on deck again ready to fly in the next few seconds. That was when Alison and I decided that payment was to be made in jugs of "Pimms"!

The wind was very light and fickle throughout and we managed to finish second boat on the water behind "Intuition". We then waited for the second race. The start of the second race was excellent, with the breeze filling in a touch more. We arrived at the first mark along with Intuition, and as usual they showed us their transom on the downwind legs.

After the finish of the second race the wind was dying again and a good call was made by the race committee to finish racing for the day and all boats headed back in high spirits to the yacht club. All the competitors were made very welcome in the yacht club, where an excellent BBQ had been laid on for us, plus a superb band. And Pimms on tap too!

Beowulf had achieved two second places on that day: both behind Intuition. After the Prizegiving, we sat on the balcony watching a most spectacular thunderstorm.

Day 2 was more or less a repeat of day 1: with a long wait for the breeze to fill in again. It was originally planned to run one longer race, but the light wind did not permit this. Once again the wind started to build slowly during the late morning and after a few postponements, we were off again, in the wake of Intuition. The course was again very testing in the light airs, with lots of downwind gybing of the asymmetric spinnaker. A few more teething problems were had with this sail: the foredeck hand admitting it was his fault that the tack line was not attached to the bow sprit, launching the sail stowage bag into the sky in the process. Also, the Beowulf Gremlins detached the no.1 spinnaker halyard, letting it fly just out of reach! It's just as well that new Dehler 36's are supplied with two.

After gaining another second place and earning a few more jugs of Pimms, we made our way back to the Royal Southern with our Dehler flag proudly flying.

The Royal Southern Yacht Club organised another superb evening in the shape of a wonderful Gala Dinner, followed by the prizegiving. There were also some superb prizes on offer, provided by the various sponsors. To round the evening off, we were again treated to the night sky being lit up by another fantastic electrical storm.

I am sure that all of the competitors will be in agreement with me when I say what a fantastic time we had with BIG thank you's to the Royal Southern Yacht Club, for making us all so welcome and laying on a superb couple of days. To the Dehler UK team: Russell, Jon and Matt, plus the various sponsors for their support and all the other Dehler sailors for making it such a memorable and friendly event.

On the slightly hung-over journey back to Essex during the next morning (not the driver I hasten to add!), the talk in the car was on what a wonderful time we had throughout the regatta, and about our impending trip to deliver Beowulf back to her permanent home in the Thames Estuary via the Alderney and the Normandy coast…… But that’s another story!